Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Two worlds collide


I nearly toppled my parents over running into them in St. Peter’s square.  I couldn’t walk fast enough across the square when I saw them in the distance so I sprinted over and gave them the biggest, longest hug I could possibly manage.  My parents had entered into the world that I had fallen in love with, the place I had described to them the past 2 months.  They were here!  We didn’t have a lot of time to catch up because we had a Savi Tour scheduled at 1pm.  This time the tour was so much better.  Our guide was a Seminarian from the NAC, and instead of focusing merely on the Architecture of St. Peter’s Basilica like my last tour guide did, he explained to us how it was really more of a pilgrimage to see the bones of St. Peter, and the foundation of the Church.  My parents loved it and I was so thrilled to be able to experience the proof of the whole history of the Church right in front of me, with the bones of St. Peter where Jesus said, “I tell you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My Church (Matt. 16:18).” After the tour we walked back to Bernardi, stopping at my favorite bakery place to give them a tast of the “Bomba” delights.  They joined us for community dinner and met some of my friends.  I was supposed to stay with them in their apartment by St. Peter’s but to be honest, I was hesitant to leave my Bernardi family.  I know it may sound crazy, but we’ve really become a family and I hadn’t seen them for a week while I was in Greece and I knew I was going to miss them!  So I invited my roommate Anna to come with me to the apartment for the night.  The sentimental feeling didn’t last very long once I saw how nice their apartment was and how comfy the beds were!  I immediately settled back into a groove with my parents alongside me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment