Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam! A moment in History


(3/13) This morning I awoke with the plan that when our whole group was together in the square tonight, there would be a pope.  I made up my mind that it would be perfect timing:  It was an evening when we didn’t have class, it was right before going out of town for the weekend, and it was the couple of hours we would all be in the square that night.  Of course I knew the Holy Spirit was in charge of these things, but I also had this unwavering confident hope that God knew how much I wanted to be there, and so I trusted the inclination inside of me.  Still, after not feeling very well all afternoon, the thought crossed my mind that I didn’t want to go stand out in the square in the rain.  But quickly I recovered and labeled that as a passing thought trying to get me not to go precisely because something amazing was about to happen. 

            I left my aches behind me and trotted through the rain to get to St. Peters.  When we arrived at about 5:30pm, there were already 100s of umbrellas crowding around in various clumps along the square. .  We met up with the Chaplaincy and Fr. Carolla and Fr. Justin in the back left hand of the square.  I met an enthusiastic couple from Texas who ended up joining us in prayer.  We opened our briveries and began to pray evening prayer together and then the rosary.  We faced the screen as we prayed and tried to ignore the various media photographers taking our pictures.  When it was over we moved our group up a little closer near the abalisk. As more people filled in the square the excitement and anticipation began to rise and there were more frequent glances being tossed at the screen.  A seagull found a happy place sitting on top of the smoke chimney, perhaps even eavesdropping on the voting Cardinals.  A couple of the Seminarians had snuck a flag pole through security, and placed a huge American flag on it as well as a smaller papal flag and passed the time waving it around. While we were standing around a few of us were getting interviewed by various news stations.  Me and a few others were interviewed by EWTN.  They asked us easy questions like where we were from, why we were in Rome, what was our favorite thing about Rome, were we excited, etc.  I talked to the camera guy for a minute after and found out that he used to work with Jeff Cavins and he had been out in Rome filming the last election, as well as the mass for priests last year.  A reporter from another news station also asked us how we were feeling right then.  In unison we all enthusiastically shouted, “CATHOLIC!”  Not quite the response he was expecting, he wandered off. 
            We waited and waited, and finally at 7:05pm white smoke started billowing out of the chimney.  I caught a glimpse of it on the screen the same time the crowd gasped and people started chattering, “It’s white!  Oh my gosh!  Wait, no it’s black!  No it’s definitely white!”  Immediately I pulled out my camera to try to film it, but I saw Nic grab Katie and run forward and voices behind me saying, “go go go!  Move forward!  This is it!”  I had my umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other as I was pushed forward in a blind sprint towards the Vatican.  I held the umbrella up as high as I could to try to avoid hitting people and their umbrellas, but I just kept getting hit and shoved and I pressed on forward.  Nic was leading the way and there was a brief moment when he stopped to let a couple of little kids through so as to not trample them. Finally, we slowed to a stop towards front/middle and the chaotic screams broke through the air!  It was an explosion of sound and smiles and jumping up and down in the cold falling rain.  People were shouting, “We have a Pope!  Habemus Papam!” Or even, “We got ‘em baby!” The white smoke continued to pour out of the chimney in a steady billow as we struggled to catch our breath through our pounding hearts and excited screams.  Our American flag swooped over our heads to show how proud we were to be here representing America.  We definitely were the craziest among the crowd and continued to hug each other and scream and jump up and down.  After we were done screaming we met a couple of guys by us who were from Pennsylvania and were studying business in Rome.  He talked with our group as a ABC New York news lady with a camera stationed herself in front of us. Along with interviewing us, she wanted to film our reactions as the new Pope walked out. We asked her if she was Catholic and she said “it’s complicated.”  One of our girls smiled and said, “What a perfect place to be then.”  While another said, “Oh don’t worry, you will be by the end of the night.” 
            We waited and some cheers were chanted and songs were sung.  There were so many different people around us gathered from all different backgrounds including other students who were here studying, clueless and not so clueless media reporters, both kids and elderly, and even a guy who proclaimed himself as a “Jewish Athiest.”  Whatever their backgrounds, I was sure that each of them (including me) was called to that square for a reason.  Even if they don’t realize it at this point, the Lord was planting a seed inside of them by showing them the unmistakable joy and unity that is present in their home inside the universal church.  Just as I told the news reporter that we were all there for a reason and we have a responsibility to be witnesses to the truth; to tell our loved ones about this experience back home. 
            Finally at 8:20pm, 3 figures came out and announced, “Habemus Papam! (We have a Pope!)”  It was now official. We screamed and screamed!  We waited longer and they came and rolled out a red carpet and hung a curtain over the banner.  People were saying the pope was from Italy, than I heard Brazil, and then I heard Argentina.  Finally, the curtains opened and the pope in white emerged.  I looked on the screen and the first thing I noticed was his dark-tinted glasses and his calm expression.  Although I didn’t know how to interpret this at first, I realize later that as a humble man, his experience must have been one of being a shepard looking out at his sheep (all screaming wildly), and really accepting us as the people he was now called to serve. I didn’t know how I was feeling until he started to speak.  He stood tall (a contrast to the last two popes who I saw near the end of their papacy when they were weaker) and confident.  His voice was clear and he made big welcoming gestures with his hands.  His first words were talking about how the cardinals had to go to the ends of the earth to find a new pope, and here he is!  People started laughing in glee. Matthew next to me said, “We have a funny pope! Yes!”  He then asked us to pray for Pope Benedict… here is the original text of the speech:
            Brothers and sisters, good evening! You know that it was the duty of the Conclave to give Rome a Bishop. It seems that my brother Cardinals have gone to the ends of the earth to get one... but here we are... I thank you for your welcome. The diocesan community of Rome now has its Bishop. Thank you! And first of all, I would like to offer a prayer for our Bishop Emeritus, Benedict XVI. Let us pray together for him, that the Lord may bless him and that Our Lady may keep him. (Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory Be... ) And now, we take up this journey: Bishop and People. This journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches. A journey of fraternity, of love, of trust among us. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world, that there may be a great spirit of fraternity. It is my hope for you that this journey of the Church, which we start today, and in which my Cardinal Vicar, here present, will assist me, will be fruitful for the evangelization of this most beautiful city. And now I would like to give the blessing, but first — first I ask a favor of you: before the Bishop blesses his people, I ask you to pray to the Lord that he will bless me: the prayer of the people asking the blessing for their Bishop. Let us make, in silence, this prayer: your prayer over me. Now I will give the Blessing to you and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will. (Blessing). Brothers and sisters, I leave you now. Thank you for your welcome. Pray for me and until we meet again. We will see each other soon. Tomorrow I wish to go and pray to Our Lady, that she may watch over all of Rome. Good night and sleep well!
            I remember thinking that I wish I could understand what he was saying, (the whole speech was in Italian).  But I caught a few words of people around me translating some of it.  During the silence while we were praying for him, the once roaring crowd was completely silence.  You could tell everyone in the world was praying for him at that moment.  All I knew about him I learned quickly on the way back:  He was 76, he was a Jesuit he is the first to take on the name Francis (which is a bold move), he named himself not after St. Franics Xavier who is a Jesuit but after St. Francis of Assisi—which explains how he is a simple man and works a lot with the poor (he doesn’t own a car and just walks around with a bag (the little sisters of the lamb told us this when we ran into them in the square afterwards)).  He seemed to me to be very humble, very inviting, very simple, and very prepared for the role.  He was looking out on us as if he accepted us and was ready to put us, the sheep, up on his shephard shoulders.  I found myself in love with him already! This was going to be the pope, godwilling, who I would invest a great deal of my life in.  He may be the pope I would one day teach my kids about.  I was excited to read more about him and his works.  I just wanted to get to know him!  
            I remember the interviewer interviewed me and Emily because we were tearing up.  My heart just felt soo filled with joy and excitement I couldn’t even contain.  My eyes were welling up and I had no idea what words I would use to describe this moment.  But the holy spirit spoke through me and I was able to tell the reporter exactly how blessed I felt and how loved we were in the square.  I don’t remember all that I said, but I do remember telling the TommieMedia news reporter later that I believe that we each have a responsibility to be witnesses to it, to our experiences, and to the truth. Each of us there received tremendous grace to be able to see with such clarity the church as it stands today, in all it’s beauty and splendor. This is not some abstract spiritual moment, this is really a joyous reality that is happening here. I tried to express the truth of how I felt and I saw the lady’s attentive eyes grow watery.  After she had finished she said that this was truly an amazing experience and she was happy to have experienced it with us.  I could tell she was going to walk out of that square changed because she had sensed that this was not just ordinary excitement, but something truly deep and truly joyful and meaningful.  She even reached over and gave Emily and I Italian goodbye greetings: kisses on our cheeks.  I held her arm and said, “I hope you come back home to the church.”  She thanked me and disappeared into the crowd.  We stood a bit longer as people began to disperse and Fr. Justin told us a bit about our new pope.  I kept hugging Katie and Sarah, still not able to contain my glee.  Squeezing our way through the crowd everyone seemed to be filled with joy.  A bad analogy is it was like leaving the best sporting event of your life when your sports team won, cheering with your new friends who were once strangers outside the stadium, except this transcended all of that.  The street out was a sea of people and I couldn’t help but skip down the cobblestones.  The rain had stopped as soon as we had gathered at the front awaiting the pope and now it was just a beautiful lit up city.  Sarah and I walked arm and arm past our favorite bakery when a lady hopped up to us with her donut bag in hand and cheerfully asked, “do you ladies know where you’re going?”  We said yes.  She said, “Are you going to St. Peter’s?”  We told her we were coming from there.  And she said “Oh, is it over?  Are you sure he’s not going to come out again for the rest of the night?  Where is St. Peters exactly?”  We told her there may be people there and pointed her the right direction.  We said God bless you and she turned to us and grabbed us enthusiastically and said, “YOU TOO!”  We smiled but were surprised at how even though this felt like the biggest event of our lives, there were still people that didn’t know what was happening right in front of them. When we got back we had our community dinner set up for us. By that time we were starving!  We excitedly chatted and ate and talked all about what we had just experienced.  After dinner we had night prayer and we were too excited to fall asleep.  Our whole floor was skyping their friends and family about their experience and I was looking at the pictures and videos I took.  Crawling into bed after 1am I tried unsuccessfully to quiet my mind from the incredible blessing that carried my day and every day since then.   Viva la Papa Francesco!



No comments:

Post a Comment