Monday, June 3, 2013

My Final Thoughts...



I know, I know, I sort of “quit” blogging after Spring Break, but I hope you’ll forgive me when you realize it was for a very important reason: I needed to learn to be present 100% in what was right in front of me…ROME.  Can you blame me? I realized with so few weeks ahead of me that it was time to take my “Rome to-do” list and make it start happening!  So after 5 trips to Norcia, Capri, Venice, Padua and Cinque Terre, 1 talent show, a final goodbye to the pope, 36 hours of no sleep and 2 plane flights later, I am sitting on my couch in bedazzlement at my new American surroundings.  My body is happily in America where there is a huge bed, cars and large coffees, whereas my mind and heart are still a thousand miles away in a beautiful old church somewhere surrounded by 35 of my newest Bernardi family members.  Something I would not have said 4 months ago, but I’ve never felt more at home than those final moments spent in St. Peter’s square the night before I left: sitting in the shadow of the grandeur that is St. Peters Basilica, and yet feeling the welcoming embrace of its pillared arms drawing me closer.  This was home.  Not the home I knew and still was eager for back in Minnesota, but the home that houses a piece of eternity within it’s walls, a home that I knew I had come from long ago but I had not realized until now.  Let me explain…
Upon first arriving in Rome there was so much uncertainty and excitement.  Everywhere I walked there were buildings older than anything I knew and items so rich in Church history it challenged the notion “Faith without seeing.”  I was seeing the Church from its beginnings as it descended from Christ himself.  I stared at the bones of the man Christ himself handed down the Church authority to and 265 more Papal shepherds who have carried that role and carry it today.  With all of this I felt so small, so uneducated, and so unsure as to why a suburban college-aged girl was here, experiencing things that so many others would not be able to ever experience.  Why me Lord?  I struggled with the fact that I was able to have this incredible experience without ever having deserved it, and knowing that I couldn’t possibly appreciate it as much as it deserved.  It wasn’t until the 24 hours before leaving Rome that the pebble hit the water. 
                  The first place I had been when I arrived in Rome was St. Peters.  The first time I truly saw the universal church in the faces of all the pilgrims was in the square of St. Peters. The first time I realized the Church was incredibly real and existent was with a collection of holy bones in the very bottom of St. Peters. The most incredible view of the city was at the top.  The moment when I realized the future of the church rested in the hands of me and the people around me happened while praying in St. Peters square during the final hour of Pope Benedict’s Papacy.  The most amazing moment of my life happened during the white smoke in the square. The most difficult moments were standing in long lines with large crowds in the square.  Sacrifices in Lent, rejoicing in Easter, Sadness and loss, as well as glory and delight in the Papacy all happened in this very square!  And then I realized that the Church had not only carried me this entire semester, but my entire life.  It is the Church that baptized me and saved me from my sins, the Church that gives me Jesus in the most pure form of the Holy Eucharist, the Church that holds the fullness of the faith through scripture and tradition for thousands of years, the Church who, although filled with sinners like me, is led by the Mercy of Christ and his advocate, the Holy Spirit.  I belonged here.  Not only in St. Peters square, but in the Church, in the embrace of the bride of Christ. St. Peters, no matter now grand and spectacular, is only an earthly illumination of the grandeur of Heaven.  And it is all given for us.  For US. And the more I realized how I belonged in this embrace, the more I was convicted that everyone else belongs there too.  We do not need to fear that our unworthiness will ever keep us from the Love of Christ because guess what, IT CAN’T!  It is only by truly accepting his Love and trust that he does only what is best for us that we can be transformed and truly free.  Jesus gave us everything he had, and he continues to show us his love, over and over again.  The distance between us and him is not a matter of God not being close to us, but us not listening to his quiet whispers in our heart.
                  Although I still don’t know why God chose me to be in Rome this particular semester, I know that I will still be unpacking these graces for years to come.  But I also feel a responsibility to share and witness to what I have seen and experienced.  I realized in the square when Pope Francis was chosen that nobody, not the media, not the world, can explain to me the utter and fullness of joy that was emanating from the crowd that night—the joy that comes from dropping our plans, picking up our crosses, and following Christ.  There is a spot for every single person in that square (…ok maybe not literally, but at times it felt like that!)  We must let love wash over us and transform us.  I experienced 35 ways to love in each of the people I lived with this semester and it transformed me. 
                  So as I struggle with coming back to the fast-paced and more individualistic life in
America, I remember not just that I now have to look both ways when crossing the street, and that salad dressings do exist, but also that the Church lives here too.  Christ lives here too.  I realize that perfection means to follow Jesus Christ, to accept the friendship of Christ.  A book I was reading says that along with this, “There is no tension, no sense of guilt or failure. We go with Christ. We do not lose courage because we are with him. He accepts us as we are, and we accept ourselves. The ideal, then, is not a state of perfection to be reached but fidelity to God’s love, the providence of God. We are centered on a person, not an ideal.”  Finally, a few words from “THE MAN” (as a few Bernardians would deem as the highest compliment), Blessed John Paul II: ““Dear your people, like the first disciples, follow Jesus! Do not be afraid to draw near to Him, to cross the threshold of his dwelling, to speak with Him, face to face, as you talk with a friend. Do not be afraid of the “new life” He is offering. He Himself makes it possible for you to receive that life and practice it, with the help of His grace and the gift of His Spirit. Dear young people, may it be your holy ambition to ‘be holy, as He is holy.’ You will ask me: but is it possible today to be saints? With Christ, saintliness, the divine plan for every baptized person, becomes possible. Rely on Him- Jesus walks with you, he renews your heart and strengthens you with the vigor of His Spirit. Do not be afraid to be the saints of the new millennium!”
AMEN! HABEMUS PAPAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment